The warm summer months are a time for all of us to get out of our homes and enjoy the outdoors. In addition to having fun, you should always be aware of your surroundings while enjoying the weather outside!
If you have recently come into contact with a poison ivy plant and are starting to develop an irritating and uncomfortable rash in certain areas on your body, here are a few things you can do to prevent the rash from spreading further and treat the discomfort.
- Immediately rinse your skin with warm water
- Wash your clothing and anything that may have come into contact with the plant/oils
- Do not scratch, this can lead to infection
- Consider using a calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream
- Apply cool compresses to the itchy areas
- Consider taking antihistamine pills
You can stop by AFC Urgent Care New Bedford 7 days a week, no appointment necessary, for poison ivy treatments and other non-life threatening illnesses or injuries. Our experienced staff will have you feeling better in no time!
We are conveniently located at 119 Coggeshall Street, and can be reached via phone at 508-990-1900.